The Historical Museum at Fort Missoula was established in 1975 to collect, preserve and interpret the history of Missoula County, Fort Missoula, the military preserve in western Montana, and the forest product industry in western Montana.

Located on 32 acres at the core of historic Fort Missoula (1877-1947), the  museum’s collections include over 29,000 objects and 13 historic structures, including the main Museum building (formerly the 1911 Quartermasters Warehouse) with 3 exhibit galleries.