The Lyman Museum began as the Lyman Mission House, originally built for New England missionaries David and Sarah Lyman in 1839. Nearly 100 eventful years later, in 1931, the Museum was established by their descendents. Today, the restored Mission House is on the State and National Registers of Historic Places and may be visited by guided tour. The Lyman Museum building, next door to the Mission House, houses a superb collection of artifacts, fine art, and natural history exhibits as well as an archives, special exhibitions and a gift shop. Visitors touring the two facilities can see the old Mission House and life as it was 150 years ago, as well as state-of-the-art exhibits on many aspects of Hawaiian natural history and culture…a rare and well-rounded view of the real Hawai, as it was, as it is today, and where it may be in years to come.