The McHenry County Historical Society Museum opened in 1976 in what was once the 1870 Union School. Additions over the years have allowed for expansion of a collection of local history, artifacts and historic buildings including an 1843 log cabin, 1895 one room school and a 1949 modern tourist cabin. The museum houses an outstanding collection of quilts and a large local history research library. In 1998 the Illinois Association of Museums awarded it Best Small Museum in Illinois.