The Powers Museum is a gift from Marian Powers Winchester to the City of Carthage. At her death in 1981, Mrs. Winchester left a bequest “for the establishment and operation of a museum for the citizens of Carthage and the surrounding area.” She requested the museum’s name honor her parents Dr. Everett Powers (1869–1954) and Marian Wright Powers (1880–1969).
Since 1988, the museum has presented hundreds of public exhibits and programs. Staff is available to talk to school and adult groups about these activities and “behind-the-scenes” work with the collections at the museum.
The museum’s small Local History Reference Library is available for self-directed research the same hours as the museum’s public schedule. (Appointment necessary for off-season access mid-December to mid-March.) Use of additional research resources housed elsewhere (such as archival collections, photographs and vertical file materials) requires an advance appointment at any time of the year.